Despite soaring inflation and a cost of living crisis, buyer demand is showing no sign of waning as we head into the peak spring/summer house-selling season of 2022.
However, the house sale process is taking longer than ever before as conveyancers and local authorities struggle to keep up with the sheer volume of transactions. And one in three house sales falls through before completion, at least partially due to down valuations, which have affected nearly half of UK property transactions during the pandemic.
Frustrated homeowners need a quick and easy way to sell and buy. Housebuilders and developers can offer house part-exchange schemes to help their customers move quicker.
Do your customers keep getting caught up in a slow-moving chain or falling victim to a chain collapse? Are you struggling to find a hassle-free transition that will keep your clients happy and your business growing? If you are a builder, developer or estate agent, you can offer your clients the convenience of a part exchange to remedy these concerns.
Part exchange, or PX, is a great way to help your customers buy their new homes without the stress and uncertainty of selling their existing properties in the volatile UK housing market. This allows them a swift move and enables you to continue growing your business while delivering a first-class customer experience.
What Is a Part-Exchange Scheme?
A part-exchange scheme allows the customer to trade some or all of their current property’s value for a discount on a new build home from a developer. The customer can sell their existing property — which they may be struggling to sell — and buy a new home in one hassle-free transaction.
Some developers offer their own in-house PX scheme; others outsource this service to a PX specialist like HBB Solutions.
Benefits of Property Part-Exchange Schemes for Builders and Developers
There are several benefits of using house PX, including:
- Helping your customers buy and sell their homes in one easy transaction
- Keeping your funds free so they aren’t tied up in managing stocks
- Helping customers avoid estate agency fees
- Meeting deadlines and managing project timelines more effectively
- Getting a fair value for your customers’ current home
- Helping customers move to their new homes quicker and with far less hassle
- Giving your customers a guaranteed sale
- Delivering an exceptional customer experience.
Who Can Benefit from a House Part Exchange?
Any homeowner looking to sell their existing home and buy a new-build property can take advantage of house part-exchange schemes — whether they are looking to expand their family and need a bigger home, need to downsize for their retirement or just want a change of scenery.
Home exchange schemes can help your customers achieve their dream house move quickly and efficiently, leaving them happy and allowing your business to grow.
Who Is Eligible?
For customers to be eligible for a new build part-exchange scheme, they need to meet the following criteria:
- They must fully own the home they wish to sell
- The existing property should be worth around 60 to 85% of the asking price of the new home they wish to buy
- The home they wish to sell needs to be structurally sound and in good condition.
- If the property is leasehold, it needs to be a fixed-term, usually with 80 years or more left on the lease
- The home must be in an appropriate location
- The home must be of a standard building design, as uncommon or odd building designs may be rejected.
If you want to find out more about which of your clients can benefit from PX, contact our team of experts for an informal discussion. We can help you explain the process to your clients or work behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly.
How Do Home Part-Exchange Schemes Work?
House part-exchange schemes work much like a regular home sale. However, in this scenario, HBB Solutions will be the buyer. The developer or house builder accepts the buyer’s current property as part payment for one of their new builds, allowing the customer to sell and buy in one transaction.
Typical house part-exchange schemes work like this:
- Your customer finds their new home and informs you, the developer.
- The developer contacts HBB Solutions, and we send local estate agents to the home for independent and fair valuations. We will typically request two or more valuations.
- HBB Solutions will assess the valuation and make the homeowner an offer (subject to a survey).
- The customer can then decide if they wish to accept the offer. If happy, they can plan for their mortgage on the new home.
- A conveyancing solicitor should then assess the new property.
- Once the assessment is clear, they can exchange contracts on the house within the month.
- The customer may need to pay a 10% deposit upon exchanging contracts. Your solicitor will hold onto a portion of this deposit.
- When the money is released, you and the customer can finalise the sale.
Completing house part-exchange schemes is fairly straightforward and designed to reduce the amount of paperwork, stress and uncertainty of a normal house sale. It can also help you and your customers avoid a broken house chain.
Take the first step by completing our simple online form today.
How Common Is House Part-Exchange?
Part-exchange housing schemes are becoming more and more common. This rise in popularity is mainly due to builders and developers selling homes to more “second steppers” and retirees looking to downsize.
In areas of the country where house prices haven’t increased significantly in recent years, and equity is low, part-exchange housing has flourished — helping people upsize their homes.
Are House Part-Exchange Schemes a Good Idea?
Whether PX is a good idea for your customer depends on their circumstances. Before suggesting this option, it’s worth considering the pros and cons of house part-exchange schemes.
- You and your customers can avoid the stress of the open market.
- You can avoid any estate agents’ fees and broken house chains.
- There are no time-consuming house viewings.
- There’s far less hassle and stress and wasted time and money.
- You get the confidence that you can move ahead with your property development plans according to your preferred schedule.
- You get peace of mind knowing the sale of the old property is completely under control.
- There’s no risk of a sale falling through.
- You can save money with HBB Solutions’ commission-free part exchange.
- You can attract more potential buyers to your building services by letting others know you offer PX.
- Your customers may be offered five to 10% less than the market value for their existing homes.
- Not every person and property is eligible.
- The customers’ current homes must be worth at least 65% of the valuation of the new homes.
- Short-lease properties may be denied.
How House Part-Exchange Schemes Can Boost Your Business in 2022
If the housing market does see a decline in buyer demand this year, builders and developers will need to offer more value to attract new customers. If demand remains high, there will be lots of homeowners eager to sell their homes fast so that they can beat the competition to snap up their dream new build home. Either way, housebuilders’ part exchange schemes can help keep business flowing in.
PX is an added service that not all home builders and developers offer. New customers with a property to sell will be more likely to buy from you if they can sell and buy in one easy transaction.
By offering PX, you will be able to attract more new customers, close more sales and stay out of debt, no matter how challenging the economic climate becomes this year.
Property Part-Exchange Schemes: The Bottom Line
House part-exchange schemes are great for developers or builders that want to help their customers sell their existing houses and move into new homes as quickly as possible. PX will help you and your customers avoid the unwanted delays or costs that commonly occur with regular house sales, such as broken house chains, expensive agency fees and the uncertainty of a sale.
PX allows you to keep your customers happy while simultaneously growing your business. If any of your customers need a quick and smooth sale of their property, part-exchange could be the best answer. Both builders and developers can benefit from offering a PX scheme to their customers.
Outsourcing your house part-exchange scheme to an expert provider can help increase your value to existing customers or potential new clients. House part-exchange schemes give you more control over meeting deadlines and greater freedom to arrange the time frames of your various projects.
If you are interested in offering part-exchange housing for your customers, contact HBB Solutions today on 01509 680 065, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to speak with our professional staff.
There’s no need to worry about the price differential when choosing PX from HBB Solutions. We’ll still purchase a property from your buyer even if they’re downsizing to a smaller house of lesser value, such as a retirement home.